(CNN) - The search for a U.S. man who allegedly abducted his two young sons last week focused Monday on Cuba, with a Florida sheriff's department saying it had received information that the man, his wife and sons had arrived in the island nation, possibly by sailboat.
A State Department official in Washington told CNN that the U.S. Interest Section in Havana "is aware of this case and is in contact with local authorities to get more information." The official would not comment further, citing "privacy considerations."
Authorities believe the father, Joshua Michael Hakken of Louisiana, abducted his sons Chase Hakken, 2, and Cole Hakken, 4, early Wednesday after breaking into the Florida home of the children's grandmother and tying her up.
In Havana, Lynn Roche, an official with the U.S. Interest Section, said section officials couldn't discuss any case of an American who hasn't signed a privacy act waiver.
This morning on "Early Start," CNN's Victor Blackwell shares latest details on the search for the Hakken boys.