Early Start's new website

Head to http://www.cnn.com/shows/early-start for your news.

May 14th, 2013

CNN anchor: 'I have breast cancer'

CNN anchor Zoraida Sambolin discusses her recent breast cancer diagnosis and her decision to have a double mastectomy.

Filed under: Cancer • Health
  1. Letty Lalinde

Prognosis and survival rates for breast cancer vary greatly depending on the cancer type, stage, treatment, and geographical location of the patient. Survival rates in the Western world are high; for example, more than 8 out of 10 women (84%) in England diagnosed with breast cancer survive for at least 5 years.-"*

Keep it up
    <http://www.healthwellnesslab.com/index.php

June 10, 2013 at 2:47 am | Reply
  2. Kathleen Murray

I am a two time Breast Cancer Survivor. I have a double mastectomy last October. I feel great and didi from the start. After the shock of the reoccurence was over, I just met the challenge head on. Every day is a gift. I live life to the fullest. I have a great family and wonderful friends that make each day a joy. And my support group has a wonderful sense of humor which is the best medicine. Take care of yourself, think only positive thoughts and remember to laugh as often as you can.

May 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  3. Sandy camp

I am a 15 yr. survivor in July!!! You explained so well Zoraida, all the feelings & fears i had. you are very brave & many prayers coming your way.. Both my daughters & husband have always been supportive . You an excellent woman & reporter, we watch you & John every morning. You two are just great together, take your time recovering we will continue following everyday!!

May 15, 2013 at 8:05 am | Reply
  4. Julia

I became a fan of Zoraida's only recently as I am recovering from brain surgery last April. The medicine I take has a side effect of insomnia. As a resident of California, this leaves me wide awake at 2 AM for Early Start. Zoraida's obvious passion for the story drew me in as well as her great relationship with her co-host John Berman. My hope is that she allows herself everything necessary and then some to endure her surgery and treatment. Women apply logic to these situations, attempt to plan them and then execute them carefully. Of course, logic does not apply here, chaos can truly reign when trying to run a family under these circumstances.

Be kind to yourself, Zoraida, think about what you really need and ask for it with as many specifics as possible. This is the time to take care of yourself and allow the ones you love to do so. Some days will be awful despite your best efforts, some days will be wonderful. It's all okay as long as you clearly discuss what's happening to you to the ones who matter most. I wish you well.

May 14, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  5. Beth Russell, MS, RN

Hello Zoraida,
    I am 52 and was diagnosed with DCIS stage 0 at the University of Michgian Hospital, late January 2012. I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in March 2012 here at the UM. I have NO regrets with my decision. Even though I had early stage noninvasive cancer, I was very proactice in my decision. I didn't want to have a single mastecomy and worry about "when was the other shoe going to fall." I went to sleep on the table and woke up with reconstructed breasts. I would strongly recommend this option. I am very active, and enjoy excercising. I was doing a zumba class 2.5 weeks after surgery. You are young, fit and would qualify for this procedure.
    I am a nurse, my husband a physician. We researched this thouroughly.

May 14, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  6. bob wire

Any chance we can slow down on the "hurrry up and get a double masectomy" chant right now? My god, this is NOT the ONLY treatment-please see the movie or clip of "Cut, Burn, Poison" before just jumping into the Chemo's the way to go on this or any other Cancer...my god...I am sensing a bit more publicity seeking from both of these women on this matter, rather than keeping it highly personal and to themselves and family..but this influencing, through their publicity, in getting other women to run right out and get this done as a first resort borders on the near criminal....do your own research folks, dont do what the Stars say-and that includes News stars. Cut, Burn, Poison-see it...make your own choices. God Bless All who are faced with any form of Cancer-and Bless those as well who offer alternatives to simply "cut it out, burn it out, poison it out"......

Curious why there is no Cure found for Cancer yet? Because the money made from it is unfathomable and not replaceable. Shame on the Govt, Big Pharma, and Medicine for not demanding and finally ending this for all....we got the brains and resources-just not the motivation given the money involved.

May 14, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Reply
  7. Cindi Hamelka

I am sure you have thought long and hard about the double mastectomy and depending on what the doctors are telling you about your particular breast cancer, I would just think long and hard about the double mastectomy. If you have a lump that does not appear to have spread to other nodes or areas, I would strongly consider a lumpectomy with radiation. Again, that totally depends on what your doctors tell you. A double mastectomy is BIG surgery. I just always worry about the complications to surgery that occur, not that they can't happen with lumpectomy, but the longer the surgery, the more that could happen. I will keep you in my prayers. You were one of my favorites on Channel 5 morning. I don't have CNN on my bedroom TV and that's where I at least hear the news in the am, so I no longer get to see you. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

May 14, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Reply
  8. Melanie Benn

Be strong and be very positive. I too am a breast cancer survivor and I have to be strong for my kids. I am a native american so cancer does not discriminate.

May 14, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Reply