November 28

Fewer than one in four Americans plan to go shopping this Black Friday.

 

 

October 10th, 2012
06:35 AM ET

New details in 'unprecedented' Benghazi consulate attack – Elise Labott explains

From CNN's Jill Doherty & Elise Labott

In the most detailed explanation yet of the attack in Benghazi, Libya, that killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, two senior State Department officials said there was no prior indication that an attack was imminent.

The officials, who briefed reporters on background in a conference call Tuesday evening, said there was "nothing unusual" throughout the day of the attack, September 11. The ambassador held an evening meeting with a Turkish diplomat and then retired to his room in one of the compound's buildings at 9 p.m., according to the officials.

The call, a day ahead of a congressional hearing into security failings at the diplomatic mission, was an attempt to offer the State Department's view that the severity of the attack and speed at which it unfolded made it impossible to defend even with some of the increased security measures that had been requested – but not fulfilled – before September 11.

This morning on "Early Start," CNN's Elise Labott explains the latest details in the investigation into the attack in Benghazi.

READ MORE: State Department officials: Benghazi attack 'unprecedented'


Filed under: Libya
soundoff (9 Responses)
  1. Marco

    WHY ISN'T THIS ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!???????

    October 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  2. Luke Bahr

    But why are the reports of the security team from Benghazi, the actual 'boots on the ground' people so contradictory to this report. The state dept. doesn't want to take the blame that's why.

    October 11, 2012 at 12:52 am | Reply
  3. jeff

    Why is the Libya story not a top headline!!
    Are you going to protect Obama on this story to your detriment?
    This is Watergate times 10 and you people are so in love with him you are going to protect him on even this story!?
    Rice, your terrible media outlet, and many others are going down when this plays out. It is a disgrace!

    October 11, 2012 at 12:32 am | Reply
  4. maggiegrace

    Had to search for this story...are you kidding.???..This is BIG,BIG,BIG news! Especially to the families of the murdered men.
    Hilary,the current" commander in ??didnt telll the TRUTH!

    October 11, 2012 at 12:21 am | Reply
  5. BOB

    Could CNN bury this story any deeper?

    October 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  6. Ricardo Bell

    How come the lies and cover up of the Benghazi attack is not a huge story?? I keep looking for it on CNN to read about it, and it seems it is getting no attention at all. ABC has it as its top story.

    October 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  7. SJM

    CNN, nice the way you bury the story, ,not even a hint on the home page that your covering it. I guess bad news for Obama is bad for CNN huh?

    October 10, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  8. Tommy

    This story is huge. Why is there not more coverage, especially about how the Obama administration and State department mislead the public about the attack being a protest? Also why has the media not asked more about what appears to be a cover-up? What is our government doing to retaliate against the terrorist group responsible for the attack? This is baffling to me.

    October 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  9. Tom

    Surprise attacks are rarely preceded by other events. That's why they are surprises.

    Come on people.

    October 10, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.