Monday: October 20

Live at 4am ET: Get a jump on the day's news!

June 13th, 2012

Joan of Snark: Comedian Joan Rivers talks about her book, says Obama and Romney are 'both idiots'

She's the legendary comedian, actress, jewelry mogul, and "Fashion Police" spotter. Of course, we could only be talking about Joan Rivers!

She's packed in all her jokes and put-downs into a blunt, uninhibited, totally uncensored book "I Hate Everyone...Starting With Me." Zoraida Sambolin recently sat down with her to to hear her really dish it out and also tell how she learned to take it.

Rivers talks about almost every topic under the sun, and gives her take on:

The Presidential race and candidates President Obama and Mitt Romney
"Both idiots...how dare you spend 2 years campaigning. This country is in trouble. They should do what England does – six weeks to find out what everyone thinks before they vote for them for Parliament...I find the whole thing disgusting."

On fashion and doing the red carpet
"The red carpet, when Melissa and I started doing it, you could say things...now everything is so closed. If you say something about Meryl Streep, her PR person won't let you have Tom Cruise...E! said please go back and do the carpet. Melissa and I said no, we'd much rather go back and do the next day and tell the truth."

On criticism she goes too far with her jokes
"I go sometimes too far on stage, but I'm at the age now where I really think my audience is my friends. I know it sounds stupid. I come on stage, and there are, like, 4,000 friends there...I think you must laugh at everything. Life is so terribly sad."

What she hates about herself
"Where do we start? My god, the breasts and you notice where I'm looking. The breasts, the thighs, the accent. Listen to myself on tape - you know, - everything."

On plastic surgery
"I did a little tweaks all my life. And that's the way people should do plastic surgery. You should do it that people don't really notice. They just say, doesn't she look good. I love when they say, she's rested. Yes, she fell asleep on the operating table."

On her opinion on less-than-beautiful people
"I hate ugly people. If you are ugly and you know who you are, I could start right now pointing out. Just get up and get out, because trust me, at the end of the evening, you're going to be just as ugly at least be home."

See more from Zoraida's sit down with Joan Rivers below. And don't miss our web extra, where she talks about the intelligence of pigeons in New York City.

Joan Rivers: Romney, Obama 'both idiots'

Joan Rivers on staying relevant

Filed under: Comedy • Entertainment • Plastic surgery • Politics
  1. Mina

Free trade means a strong eonocmy with low unemployment if it is handled fairly and correctly. Romney pointed out in the recent debates that China is not playing by the rules. I believe that international trade helps the eonocmy by both imports and exports. All Americans are impacted by imports and exports because the Cost of Living is Market driven. The Market (supply and demand) affects all of us.

July 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  2. rob

Love her & spot on about the Romney & Obama.

June 14, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Reply
    • Edna

I whole hardly agree with you Preston and all oterhs that have given a comment on your behalf. I would have charged for a second presentation. I have found that even when you let people take pictures or you send a picture of what you have designed, they will in turn get someone else to do the job even at a lower cost. Is this world real or not.:):) Don't get discourage! Continue being who you are. I love what I do.

July 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • Tatiana

This elction is a no lose for me (i.e. left of ceentr). If you pick the more elctable candidates (Mitt, Huntsman) I have a tough choice but one I am happy with either way. If you pick anyone else, Obama wins simply because they will drive away the I vote and motivate the D base.I'm happy.

July 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Reply
    • Nidia

You Rock Nancy! I humbly stand cetoecrrd. I emphatically agree w/ you on Perry, but have another question. Will a Palin entry make all of the Perry/Romney talk irrelevant? Would it be difficult for any of you on EFM to stand as firmly beside and behind Mitt w/ Sarah in the race? Sorry if that is being too bold.

July 29, 2012 at 1:08 am | Reply
  3. Keith

I love Joan Rivers.. a breath of fresh air and honesty.

June 14, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  4. DudleyDoRight

Joan is one BAD mofo......dang......shes still a PIP !

June 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Reply
    • Sonny

You know nothing about Romney's bnssueis background, do you? Some bnssueises that Bain took over were unsalvageable but many others were successful. Staples, Domino's Pizza, Burlington Coat Factory, Burger King, Brookstone, Toys R Us, Sealy Corp just to name a few that Bain took over or invested in. Boy.. that sounds like an utter failure of his firm. Staples alone had one store in 1986 and now has over 1,700. The SLC Olympics were a smashing success after Romney took over too.

July 27, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Reply
  5. Cyndi DeCook

Joan, I think your a wonderful person....thank you for the fun you brought to my life.

June 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • Auth

I have not been on the computer for a coulpe of days and was very sorry to hear the news of Joan's stroke. She is such a great lady and she will be in our thoughts and prayers. Please wish her a belated but sincere Happy 89th Birthday and a very Merry Christmas!

July 29, 2012 at 2:01 am | Reply
  6. JRay

I love Joan Rivers....and she is right.....Laugh at everything. life is too short.....she almost had me choking up there! LOVE that woman!

June 14, 2012 at 8:30 am | Reply
  7. Robert

I love you!

June 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Reply
    • Frances

this show is paid for by the Obama campaign, If Romney made a maistke, with this so what, what about the promises Obama made, well I dont see the economy turning around. this show is paid for by the liberal press that favors the democrats. Obama must go, but I do think the republican party is the way to go either. maybe Ron Paul, Herman Cain, maybe someone else.

July 28, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Reply