Tuesday: July 22

Live at 4am ET: We'll have the latest on Flight 17 and the Israel/Gaza conflict

May 30th, 2012

Wolf Blitzer responds to his Donald Trump interview, says if Trump is going to back up 'birther' claims, he has to have evidence

It's no secret that Donald Trump tends to get embroiled in drama. Last night on "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer," Trump was at it again, sparring with Blitzer over President Obama's Hawaiian birth certificate. This morning, Wolf talks to Ashleigh on "Early Start" about why the Donald cannot let go of the birther movement.

"I've known Donald Trump for a long time and interviewed him on many many occasions," Blitzer says. "He's an intelligent guy, not a stupid guy or anything like that. I assume maybe it’s an obvious reason, he believes it."

Last night, Trump called in from Las Vegas where he was holding a fundraiser for the Republican presidential nominee. When Blitzer told him he was being ridiculous for continuing the birther movement after the state of Hawaii affirmed Obama's birth certificate, Trump went on a rant attacking CNN's ratings and the confirmation itself.

"Let me tell you something," Trump starts. "I think you sound ridiculous. And if you would ask me a question and let me answer it, instead of making [...] And many people put those announcements in because they wanted to get the benefit of being so-called born in this country. Many people did it. It was something that was done by many people, even if they weren't born in the country. You know it, and so do I. And so do a lot of your viewers."

Blitzer tried to get an explanation out of Trump as to why he is fighting this fight even though so many other Republicans have dropped the issue. He tells Ashleigh that "Mitt Romney disagrees with him, Newt Gingrich disagrees with him, all the other Republican presidential candidates basically disagree with him. They accept the fact that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii back in 1961. Even Karl Rove, the head of the largest pro-Republican superpac out there disagrees. So, it's not controversial."

Filed under: Birthers
  1. MP in VA

Romney's association with and refusal to refute Trump's claims are a legitimate campaign issue. President Obama was criticized (and still is) for his association with Jeremiah Wright who made fiery, controversial statements from the pulpit. While Pres. Obama did not disassociate himself from Pastor Wright, he roundly denounced the pastor's statements publicly. If Romney doesn't beleive what Trump is saying, he will do the same and denounce the comments. Otherwise, to me, he seems of weak character.

June 4, 2012 at 8:09 am | Reply
  2. Oneica Gracie

Donald Trump must remove a side of his brain that is rotten. Even to suggest that the President of the United States is an illegal immigrant is absurd. Why doesn't he ask Hillary Clinton and/or any high official of the USA government agencies such as the Homeland Security, Immigration Office, the FBI, if they made a "real search" about Obama's birth ceritificate?
    Is Trump doubting the efficiency of the US government about something so serious as the possibility of the president being an illegal immigrant? Trump should be arrested for defamatory accusation against the Pre of the USA.

June 2, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Reply
    • Joycean

- hey lady, long time no blog;~} awseome pics. awseome! clear as a bell! the eyes are the window to ones soul. a moment in time come see me, I have leared how to make slide shows and have made a couple, let me know what you think. jamesdean

June 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  3. J.J In Denver

Friends,

Is the administration of the State of Hawaii ready to sue Trump for slander?
    Just to shut up the nut-job Birthers?

I think it's time because by filing this action against Trump (et al)
    and Romney the state of Hawaii stands to spend more time and money by
    defending other folks born in Hawaii in birth certificate issues in
    the future, I guess that's their call.
    The state has an obligation to 1) defend it's process from
    slander and rumors 2) Only state ( and the NAACP maybe in assist) has
    the sole obligation to fortify it's citizens from future slander and
    suspicions for such things as job interviews and discrimination
    against native Hawaiians.

Mahalo,
    JJ O' Denver

June 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  4. dalewalk

Blah, blah, blah.
    "He's a very charitable guy....he takes care of his own." Does the fact he 'takes care of his own' make him charitable? I'd invite him to open up his tax forms and show us just how charitable he is. But then, isn't that why we always knew he'd never run for President? Because he'd have to show his returns?
    Trump is the personification of a world class jerk.

May 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  5. Cath

Now that Celebrity Apprentice is finished for the season, Trump needs to find ways to keep his name on television. So sad really to be so narrow minded and stupid. He has nothing relevant to say and should not be given any air time to speak.

May 31, 2012 at 7:46 am | Reply
  6. Wiggymaster

I'm beginning to think Donald Trump is playing heel for Obama. Nobody can benefit the right by being this stupid... oh wait, I forgot about Rush Limbaugh.

May 31, 2012 at 7:07 am | Reply
  7. caesarbc

Remember... Donald Trump was a major Republican Presidential contender.

May 31, 2012 at 5:49 am | Reply
  8. caesarbc

Remeber... Donald Trump was a major Republican Presidential contender.

May 31, 2012 at 5:48 am | Reply
  9. nike boiz

Donald Trump is a loser! He has no evidence of Obama being ET from another planet or being born in Kenya. Get over yourself Drumpy, and get a decent haircut. Meaning get rid of the damn comb over! Do you know how silly you hair looks? What a redneck tool! Go Obama!

May 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  10. Remzi R. Barolli

Trump is a rich idiot, he says things that are not true and the rest of the rightwing idiots believe what he says. Trump Obama is the president, many milion voters voted for him. As I see it more will vote for him during the next November's election. If you do not like who we the people vote to be our president than you perhaps can move to some other parts of the wold, and please take the ser of the jerks with you.

May 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  11. FKK

I'd like to see Mitt prove that he's not the offspring of an illegitimate polygamist marriage!!

May 30, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  12. KeithDB

Wolf misses the obvious answer. Trump isn't stupid, he's just insane..

May 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Reply
  13. not so fast

Donald trump is that guy that most people have to deal with because of who he is, what he brings to the table, or the power his family has. In Donald's case, it is all 3. Trump is a celebrity, and therefore a percentage of people will always listen. Donald has money, and can use it to influence others. and Donald has a presence in business, which is supposed to make hime crediable.

That is why Mitt won't tell him to go away, that is why no major republican will. Because they need his money, voice, and support. Mitt knows that Donald is not converting anyone on the fence, but he is energizing a part of the far right. Notice I said part of the far right. He's energizing the birthers. me personally I don't care if you are left, right, far left or right, in the middle, up north or sideways, to each ther own. Mitt knows he can't reach out to the birthers with out hurting his chances with independants, so if donald wants to do it for him... Mitt is going to look the other way and let donald talk.

The problem is not Romney, or Obama. ( choose who ever you want). the problem is the media giving Trump airtime.
    Trump is rich, and infamous, and NOT an expert on politics. He is not an expert on much of anything. Yes He made billions in real estate, and he has a TV show.... good on him for BOTH. So in the real estate world he is one of the best, however it would be a stretch to call him a good actor. Real estate developers, are 1 part of business, and they interface with dozens of other parts of business.... that does not make one an expert in the other businesses.

Can you imagine if Trump ran a grocery chain, .... mable floors, fountains in the entrance, and $80 dollar packs of gum. How about a Car company, Leather on the ceiling, marble on the dash, and 2 million dollars to lease it for a year.
    Now I just gave some harsh critizisms on donald based on his track record and reputation.... however he could do each sucessfully..... On a small scale. If he is making 1500 cars a year like mazerati, or opening a total of 5 grocery store in north America. He could do it cattering to the less than 1% that can afford it.... and that is ok.

The question is how does someone like donald know ANYTHING about what affect someone like me. I'm not pitting the 1% against the 99%. I am saying that SOME of the those in the 1% like donald has no idea what matters to the MARORITY of the population. Certainly some people in the 1% do, some are domecrats, some independants, and some republicans. Some know because they where in the 99% not to long ago, some because even though they have always had money... they were taught to be truely grateful.\

I won't call out any one with money and say you could do this, and you should do that... its your money, not mine, so enjoy. However in a democracy, it is the most votes, the majority vote that wins, not the money. So even though both candidates in virtually ANY election will has far more money and power that I ever will. I will look for the one who has, walked in my shoes. And If neither one has, Who has walked, a similar path, who knows what my shoes look like.

When Romney told college students to go borrow money from good old mom and dad to start a business... I can see the path is different, and the shoes are not recognizable. When you see the look on the face of the graduates he told that to, you know they felt it to.

I don't dislike or hate the 1%, and I am not envious either. I am just going to use my vote on the person who realizes what actually affects my life. I am a father of 3, a homeowner, a vet, a college student, and work full time. I consider my self about middle class.

How does Trump or Romney relate to Me?

May 30, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply
    • Jangiao

if u really want to you can. first of all go to every silgne family meember you have and ask if they hav any odd jobs tht they can pay you for. second go around the neighborhood n offer to mow grass. if you have a cute little sibling make a lemonaid stand with them and giv them like a quarter of the profits and keep the rest ( use them so u dont look like such an idiot) and just go around the clock. make a car wash go online annd do surveys (make sure you read the fine print) and keep moving. some stables will hire you to muck the stalls. one hired me at 13 and i got paid 20 dollars for only working 3 hours on my first day. and i had a partner. and just keeep at it and it will add up and you will get the money if you dont get discouraged. i hope i helped!! bye

June 22, 2012 at 3:13 am | Reply
  14. Hadenuffyet

ROFLOL....GIVE IT UP for CRISSAKE....

now who would EVER do business with this whacko...I'd try to get as far away from any association to him as possible. He's leprosy to the GOP.....

May 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply
  15. Arthur B.

I wish Wolf Blitzer had done a little more homework and had been able to refute Trump point by point.

The only example quoted in the article is Trump's claim that "many people put those announcements in," and that's simply a lie. As the newspapers have confirmed, their birth announcements came from the Hawaiian Department of Health, not from individuals. I wish Wolf had called him on that.

And on all the other birther lies too. The facts are not hard to find.

May 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  16. DrMatrix

Wolf says Donald Trump has to have evidence. Wolf is flat out WRONG!

Da Trump don't need no evidence to rouse the rabble.

May 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Reply
    • Lily

Ive been meaning to read this and just never got a ccnhae. Its an issue that Im pretty interested in, I just started reading and Im glad I did. Youre a wonderful blogger, one of the most effective that Ive seen. This weblog definitely has some information and facts on topic that I just wasnt aware of. Thanks for bringing this stuff to light.

June 19, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  17. KSA

Some people can't apply their brain. Why Mr. Blitzer brings people like Trump? I like to watch Situation room. Only timing is not suitable if he/she is working. I can re-watch on week end.

May 30, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply